Winter Favourites

Believe it or not, yesterday marked the first day of Spring. Pretty darn scary, right?! It feels like only a fortnight since we were ringing in the New Year and now we've suddenly leapt almost a quarter of the way through the year! Craaaaazy! Although I absolutely adore the invigorating freshness of Springtime (and the gorgeous pastel trends) I must admit that I'm a little reluctant to bid my farewells to Winter this year. As it's the season hosting my birthday, Christmas and snow, it's always the one that I'm most hyped up for, and now it's passed i can't help but feel a little deflated. But hey, I'm going off on an irrelevant tangent and should probably just get on with today's post. To bid my final farewells to Winter (*stifled sniffle*) I thought I'd sum up the season by sharing a few of the things that I've been loving over the last few months. Warning: this post could get preeeeeetty lengthy so I strongly advise that you make yourself a piping hot cup of tea to ease your way through it! Nonetheless, I hope you enjoy! 

Makeup Favourites


Possibly my favourite makeup product of the season (and century) is the Rimmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour Nude Foundation. If you're an avid reader of my blog, you're likely to be growing pretty tired of me constantly singing my praises for this product, and for that I apologise, but it's seriously amazing stuff!  I'd describe this to be of medium to full coverage- honestly, most of the time you'll barely need concealer when it comes to this! It does have a relatively matte finish which, for oily skin types, can be pretty convenient, but if your skin is prone to the odd dry patch here and there, applying copious quantities of moisturiser beforehand this is the key to avoid any unwanted chapping! 

To inject a bit of a radiance into my dull winter skin, I've been using the Elf Baked Blush in 'Peachy Cheeky' somewhat habitually. Again, any regular reader of my blog is likely to recognise this as a pretty frequently-mentioned product when it comes to makeup. Peachy Cheeky is a super-subtle iridescent peach-toned champagne pink (what a mouthful!) which acts as both a highlight and blush when dampened. If I'm honest, I'm not a huge fan of shimmery blush as I find it to be a bit of a giveaway, so this is primarily dusted along the tops of my cheekbones as a highlighter. It gives quite a natural, pearl-like luminescence to the skin, and is a great way to fake a healthy glow during the slightly greyer months. That being said, I'm pretty sure I'll continue to use this throughout the Spring and Summer too, as it is such a simple and foolproof way to enhance your complexion. 

Another Winter trend that I, along with pretty much the entirety of the blogosphere (and the general internet for that matter), have been loving these past few months is, of course, deep burgundy lips. Nothing quite screams Autumn/Winter like a lashing of berry lipstick, and the Topshop Lips in 'Wicked' has been my go-to shade this season. Although this does have a matte finish, which can often be pretty problematic, this has a surprisingly velvety formula which glides onto the lips with ease and sits there nicely for hours on end without budging and without thoroughly dehydrating your lips. Sounds like a winner to me! 

Unfortunately, my school's policy on makeup doesn't allow the wearing of eyeshadow so my usage of the Benefit Goodies a Go-go set is pretty much limited to the weekends. However, this hasn't stopped me getting as much use out of this little beauty as I possibly can. I must admit that I've never really been one for bold eye colours, and so the neutral shades inhabiting this dainty little tin are well within my comfort zone. The set also comes complete with bite-sized samples of the notorious They're Real Mascara and the Stay Don't Stray eye primer. Before I was introduced to this set, I'd never really thought of using an eye primer before applying eyeshadow (I'm a terrible excuse for a blogger, I know) but it really has revolutionised the appearance of my eye makeup. Long gone are the days of invisible eye makeup by lunchtime; thanks to this little goodie, my eyeshadow stays looking vibrant and wholesome pretty much all day. If you're wanting to try out a couple of sample-sized Benefit products instead of splurging on just one product, I'd definitely recommend this set. And better yet, it will only set you back £19.50, despite its actual value of £37! 

Keeping in theme with the Benefit products, I've also been loving the brand new Benefit Roller Lash Mascara. I dare say that it may even be better than They're Real- yes, it's honestly that good! It's curved brush hooks the lashes individually, curling them upwards and outward to produce a delicate set of fluttery fanned-out lashes. Bye-bye eyelash curlers! 

I've also been habitually using the Maybelline Color Tattoos on my eyes to produce a high-pigmentation on my lids. I currently own the shades On and On Bronze, which is a brassy-toned gold, and Eternal Pink, which would describe as a pearly pink. Both, in my opinion, are super versatile shades which can be worn either on its own for a simple and speedy look, or can also provide an easily buildable foundation for other shadows. However, possibly what I love the most about these is their staying power. Honestly, when these claim to stay put for '24 hours', they certainly fulfil that (and would probably last even longer if you could hack wearing makeup for such a lengthy period of time to find out!) If gold and pink don't tickle your fancy, there's a diverse range of other shades on offer, including a slightly more daring violet, along with cranberry and taupe. 

Skincare Favourites


The slightly harsher weather conditions that winter brings in two can often leave my skin in a bit of a state. Whether it's the icy wind leaving it chapped and dehydrated, or a dull complexion as a result of insufficient sunlight, my skin certainly requires more than a bit of pampering during the colder months. However, with the help of a few trusty old favourites, I've managed to conquer the winter weather and keep my skin nourished and nurtured.

Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish has fast become a beauty cult favourite, and with drugstores bringing out similar hot cloth cleansers themselves, I couldn't resist giving them a try to see what all the fuss was about. I picked up the Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser on a bit of a skincare splurge a few months ago and have been using it routinely ever since. The formula is very creamy and works into the skin effortlessly, leaving the skin feeling smoothed and refreshed. I read a few reviews of this before picking this up myself, and caught onto the fact that many people found the fragrance of this to be a little synthetic and distasteful; however, I beg to differ. Excuse me if this sounds a little odd, but this is reminiscent of the aroma released by freshly toasted hot cross buns, which, personally, I find to be a very pleasant and soothing scent. Superdrug claim this to be a 'brightening' cleanser, something my skin can certainly vouch for after frequent usage of this. This has been great for inducing a little bit of a glow to my dull winter skin, as well as keeping it sublimely smooth.

On the same skincare splurge, I also picked up the Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Eye Cream, another product which has weaselled its way into my daily essentials. Before my purchasing of this, I hadn't really used an eye cream before but was overwhelmed by just how much of a difference it actually makes. Although this doesn't conceal the appearance dark circles particularly well, it certainly helps to reawaken my eye region as well as providing it with sufficient moisture to avoid dehydration. This is ridiculously cheap (and regularly on offer!) and a great budget option which I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a lightweight but hydrating everyday eye cream.

It's not just my face that is prone to a slight case of winter fatigue and dehydration, my body also needs a bit of tlc during the colder months. After receiving quite possibly my body weight in Soap & Glory products for Christmas, I've taken a rather strong liking to the Soap & Glory Whipped Clean Shower Butter. Although I tend to moisturise with Soap & Glory's notorious Butter Yourself, during the colder months, I'd rather not be hopping out of a steaming shower and then stand shivering whilst I apply moisturiser, and then allow it time to absorb. But this is where the Shower Butter, a concept I'd never really heard of before, if an absolute lifesaver. It essentially doubles up as a shower gel and moisturiser (and also shaving cream, as lathers effortlessly), leaving your skin squeaky clean and nourished. As with all Soap & Glory products, the scent is absolutely divine. It is said to be infused with sweet almond oil, delectable pistachio with a hint of vanilla- a combination made in heaven if you ask me! 

Another favourite of mine also originates from Soap & Glory. I noticed a few months ago that my hands were becoming increasingly dry, and as they began to chap, began to be quite painful. Introduce the Soap & Glory Hand Dream Super Intensive Hand Cream and all my woes were moisturised away in minutes. Unlike other hand creams I've tried, this is ultra-absorbent and disappears into the skin in what feels like seconds, restoring your hands to their former silky selves. Again, being a Soap & Glory product, the fragrance is nose-ticklingly good and really helps to conjure up the impression of a well-rounded, luxury hand cream. It's a big thumps up from me, Soap & Glory! 

Haircare Favourites


Not only did my skin begin to look exhausted and dull, my hair was also suffering the same way. All natural highlights I'd acquired from the summer sun had been left somewhere in September, and I was stuck with limp and lifeless locks. However, big props go to the wonderful John Freida for creating a shampoo and conditioner duo that has utterly rejuvenated my hair and even turned it a shade or two lighter, despite being both peroxide and ammonia-free! My hair's received a massive pampering from the John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo and 

John Frieda Sheer Blonde Highlight Activating Moisturising Conditioner, which, yes, don't match exactly (yup, I made that classic Boots error!) but they work compatibly with one another. Sure, they haven't transformed my locks into a platinum blonde wonder, but they certainly have restored it to its former glory.


If you read my 'Hair Necessities' post a few weeks ago, you're likely to have gathered that my hair can be a bit of a nightmare to say the least. Seriously, it accumulates knots in literal seconds. Throw the winter winds into the equation and we've got ourselves a bit of a birdnest. But throw in the miracle-maker that is the Salon Elite Tangle Teezer (mine's in Sweet Lilac), and somehow the nest can be tamed. This brush is possibly the only one that glides through my hair with ease, and is compact enough to slip in your bag for any impromptu detangling sessions! 


As a bit of a deep-conditioning treat, I've been loving the L'Óreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil. Honestly, just a few drops of this and my hair looks, and feels, instantly nourished. It gives it a silky shine without looking greasy and a sumptuous smoothness that lasts for hours (and probably days if you could bear to leave your hair that long!) What I love most about this is how versatile it is; not only can you work it into damp hair, it can also be used on dry hair for an instant moisture-boost or as a luxury treatment before shampooing. With this, a few drops go a long way, making this product ultra-affordable and a great way to reboot your hair! 

Last but not least is the Dove Leave-in Conditioning and Care Spray, another product that works wonders at injecting a bit of moisture into limp hair. Similarly to L'Oreal's offering, this has a non-greasy formula which can instantly replenish the feel, and appearance, of your hair. It feels lightweight on the hair, absorbs easily for a non-sticky finish, and leaves your hair with a silky sheen. Again, this can be used on damp or dry hair, making it not only a great alternative to your everyday conditioner, but also a great way to induce some hydration into your hair between washes. 

Random Favourites


When I last ventured into Hollister, I was thrilled to see that they were selling off their infamous body sprays at a knock-off price at £5. Instinctively, I scooped several up and dumped them in my shopping basket. I picked up numerous bottles of Crescent Bay, as it is undoubtedly one of the daintiest floral fragrances around, and also decided to try the Palisade Beach spray as an alternative. If you're confused as to why these were on sale so cheaply, Hollister have recently redesigned the packaging of their body sprays so were obviously wanting to clear out the stock! Oh, and if you're wondering what the new packaging is like, I can certainly vouch for the fact that it is gorgeous! 

I'm not really one for overwhelmingly pungent smells, so these subtly scented ones from Yankee have been absolutely ideal for me this winter. Sugared Apple has been my favourite Yankee fragrance for quite some time now- a sweet but crisp scent with a sprinkling of vanilla to produce a warm and homely aroma. I've also been loving their Cranberry Ice candle, a delicate yet frosty fragrance with tangy notes of crisp winter berries. These have been burning simultaneously on my desk all winter long and are two that I will definitely be repurchasing in the next winter season (fingers crossed they don't get discontinued!) 

Okay, so this really is a random one but I just couldn't resist slipping it in. To say I'm a coffee addict is an understatement and so this cute little travel mug has really fuelled my addiction further, as it means that I can transport coffee with me virtually anywhere. I actually got this from The Works for something silly like £1.99, which is crazy cheap, and so I wasn't really expecting it to be great quality but I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by just how great an insulator this actually is! 

Finally, we have Pretty Little Liars. I'm sorry but this just wouldn't be a favourites post if I didn't include this programme somewhere within it. I've been watching this for the best part of 5 years and have been hooked from the very start. Any avid PLL fan will be aware that the #BigAReveal is airing this Tuesday and to say I'm excited would be a minimisation to say the very least! Knowing Marlene King and her crazy storylines, it's likely to be a real plot twist- eeek! 

So there you have it: my winter favourites. Told you it would be a long'un- you could probably pass this off as a novel! Nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed today's post! 

What have your favourites been this season?

Lucy x 

Comments